Making a Difference
At Murchison & Cumming, we strive to “give back” to our communities, both the legal communities in which we work and the neighborhood communities in which we live.
On a personal level, the people of M&C donate innumerable hours of time at hospitals, schools, churches, handicapped and youth organizations and other organizations providing social services to those in need.
As professionals, we actively provide pro bono services and serve the defense bar and general legal community through leadership in professional and industry organizations.
Pro bono activities are many and, by way of example, include working with the Wills for Heroes program, which provides Firemen, Police Officers, Paramedics and EMTs with a basic will, a durable power of attorney for financial affairs and an advanced health care directive.
Murchison & Cumming attorneys and staff have donated business clothes to Dress for Success, which provides clothing to women transitioning from unemployment to self-sufficiency; our San Francisco office participates in the "Adopt-A-Family " program, through Compass Community Services, providing gifts to a single mother and her child during the holidays; and attorneys and others give of their time, money and energy for causes of personal importance by running or walking to raise money for charities, including the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure.
Through pro bono and community volunteerism, we put our good intentions into action, working with others to support causes that are meaningful to us on a personal and professional level, called by the desire to make a difference. A sampling of the many organizations to which we contribute time and talent include the following:
- Access Books
- Amigos Sin Barreras
- Annual Arcadia Law Day
- Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts
- Compass Community Services
- Corporate Work Study Program, Verbum Dei High School
- Dress for Success
- Harvard College Admissions Program
- Heal the Bay, Association of Corporate Counsel
- International Rescue Committee, San Francisco
- Junior League of San Francisco
- Justice Jog, Association of Legal Administrators, Greater Los Angeles Chapter
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
- Little League in numerous communities
- Los Angeles Bar Association, 2009 Foreclosure Clinic
- Project Angel Food
- Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure
- The Dana Point Concours d'Elegance
- Wills for Heroes, via the Beverly Hills Bar Association, Board of Governors