Los Angeles Office
View My vizCard
- California, 2003
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 2013
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 2004
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 2013
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 2009
- District of Columbia, 2005
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 2004
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2014
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia, 2007
- United States Tax Court, 2007
- California Supreme Court, 2003
- George Washington University Law School, Washington, District of Columbia (LL.M, 2003)
- Whittier Law School, Costa Mesa, California (J.D., Law Review Member and Notes and Comments Editor, 2000 - 2002 , 2002)
- Moot Court Honors Board Member and Competitor, 2000 - 2002
- Trial Advocacy Honors Board Member and Competitor, 2000 - 2002
- San Diego State University, San Diego, California (B.S. in Political Science and Psychology, 1998)
Lisa D. Angelo
Ms. Angelo is a Partner in the Los Angeles office of Murchison & Cumming, LLP and a member of the firm's Professional Liability, General Liability, Law and Motion, and Retail (including wine, beer, and spirits) practice groups.
Ms. Angelo is also a Martindale Hubbell AV-Preeminent rated attorney and has experience in a wide variety of practice areas including legal malpractice, agent/broker malpractice (insurance and real estate), home inspector and environment consulting malpractice, Ocean / marine claims, white collar crime, premises liability (trip/slip and fall), general liability, health law (elder abuse), breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, product liability and international law.
An aggressive trial attorney and litigator, Ms. Angelo's most recent victories include a defense verdict for a small business / restaurant owner from Avalon, Ca. against a $5 million dollar slip and fall case in Long Beach Superior Court. The jury took less than two hours to reach a favorable defense verdict on first question of whether restaurant was negligent. Another favorable defense verdict was reached for a non-profit medical clinic in a $2 million dollar trip and fall case in Van Nuys, Superior Court. A 77 year old plaintiff tripped over a concrete wheel stop located in the disabled parking stall section of a parking lot. After an 8 day trial, the jury took less than 45 minutes to reach a favorable defense verdict on the first question of whether the clinic was negligent. In a recent bench trial, Ms. Angelo secured a court Ordered dismissal of a complex 10-count complaint on the first day of trial. The case concerning the sale of a high-end vehicle, with allegations ranging from malicious prosecution and defamation to fraud and conversion of the vehicle. Ms. Angelo has also achieved success for her clients by prevailing on motions for summary judgment including a recent products liability case involving a floor mat in a restaurant and a "dog-bite" claim against local Pet Shop and animal rescue owner.
Ms. Angelo is an active member of the Claims Litigation Management, Professional Liability Defense Federation, Los Angeles County Bar Association's Inn of Court, Women Lawyers of Long Beach and she has served as a speaker for several local and national organizations including USLAW. She is a Co-Chair of Murchison & Cumming's Professional Development Subcommittee, part of the firm's Diversity and Inclusion's Women's Initiative. She is admitted to practice law in all California State and Federal Courts including the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit as well as the Courts of the District of Columbia and the United States Supreme Court.
- "Professional Liability" Murchison & Cumming 2014 Year in Review, 5-Minute Drill, April 30, 2015, Los Angeles, CA
- "Dos and Don'ts for General Counsel When Responding to State/Federal Subpoena, Document Request or Civil Investigative Demand," USLAW Network Legal Leaders and Corporate Counsel Exchange, March 3, 2015, Chicago, IL
- "Duty to Defend Criminal Complaints" Murchison & Cumming 2013 Year in Review, 5-Minute Drill, April 29, 2014, Los Angeles, CA
- "The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act," Panelist re: Business Across Borders in North America in 2013, Fall 2013 USLAW Network Client Conference, October 4, 2013, Vancouver, B.C., Canada.
- "What To Do If You, Your Friend or Your CEO Receive an Indictment or Federal Grand Jury Subpoena," USLAW White Collar Crime EduNet Webinar, May 16, 2013
- "Federal Criminal Discovery and Civility," Criminal Inn of Court Meeting, May 9, 2013, Los Angeles, CA
- "Howell, Hanif & Beyond--The current climate for assessment of medical 'specials,'" Tokio Marine Management and TM Claims Services, May 30, 2012, Pasadena, CA
- "California Civil Procedure," Southwestern University School of Law, Los Angeles, CA, February 2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Murchison & Cumming's Professional Development Subcommittee - Co-Chair
- Eastern District of California Pro Bono Panel
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Long Beach Bar Association
- "Blue Shield to cover treatment for anorexia," Los Angeles Daily Journal, September 21, 2011
- "Clash of the Courts: Are Witness Statements Privileged Information?" Los Angeles Daily Journal, April 27, 2010
- Boy Scouts of America v. Dale, "The Delay in a Necessary Change With Time", 23 Whittier L. Rev. 3, 2002